- Refer to Weekly Homework Menu and Classroom News sent home on the first school day of each week.
- I encourage you to read for 15-20 minutes nightly. Read a story to and with your child. Pick two literary texts (fiction) and two informational texts to read during the week. Reread the same text, talk about the text with your child, and have him/her write about it.
Reading Comprehension Questions
Here are some questions you can ask your child during or after your child reads a
story to you. Please do not attempt to discuss ALL of these questions in one sitting.
1. Where and when does the story take place?
2. Who are the main characters?
3. Does the main character remind you of someone you know? How are they alike?
4. Who is your favorite character? Why?
5. Which picture in the book do you like best? Why?
6. Which part of the story do you like best? Why?
7. How do you feel about the end of the story? Would you change the ending?
8. What do you remember most about the story?
9. Do you think others would like to read this book? Why or why not?
10. Would you read another book by this author? Why or why not?
11. Tell me what the story is about.
12. When did the story take place? (past, present, future)
13. What’s the main idea? How do you know?
14. Who were the characters?
15. Did you like or dislike about the book? Why?
16. How did the book make you feel? (reactions)
17. Do you think the story could really happen? Explain.
18. What happened in the story? What were the events?
19. Did this book make you laugh? cry? cringe? smile? cheer? explode? Explain.
20. What was the most exciting part of the book.?
21. Does this story make you think of anything else that you read?
22. Would you like to be one of the people in the story? Who? Why?
23. Did the author make you feel any specific emotion?
24. What happened in the story? What happened in the beginning, middle and end?
25. Why did the author give the story this title? Can you think of a different title?
26. Why did you choose this story to read?
27. Do you think this story can really happen? Why or why not?
28. What do you know that you did not know before reading this?
29. Did your thoughts and feelings change as you were reading? How and why?